Thursday, October 27, 2016

An Old School Chinese Restaurant at Sek Yuen, Kuala Lumpur 适苑酒家

I have been waiting to come to this old school restaurant for a long time with my cycling buddies. At last we made it to Sek Yeun Restaurant, the last time I came to Sek Yuen was with my contractor friends back in the 80's.  It has been in existence since 1948. A friend posted in the Facebook after seeing our posting and mentioned that her parent wedding dinner was held here. I guess there were many more wedding dinners hosted here and were memorable ones.
I get very excited knowing that they still use firewood at their stoves and true enough as we were coming from the back lane we saw the pile of firewood at the back of the restaurant.
While waiting for our food to come I went around the old building, appreciating the original set up of the restaurant. I hope this place will continue to keep it this way as long as possible.
You can see the firewood inside the kitchen as the chefs were busy at work.
A deep fried "Wan Yee Lam" or grass crap fish seen  outside the kitchen.
When I saw this wrapped up pork trotter out the kitchen, I told my buddies to include this dish for the evening.
One of Sek Yuen's signature dishes is this roasted Pei Pa duck (琵琶鸭), juicy meat with crispy skin.
The majority was gamed for fried noodle rather than steamed rice. Our first fried noodle was fried beehoon.
Then came Cantonese fried noodle with a mix of beehoon and koay teow. I this the most among the 3 types of fried noodle.
The braised stuffed pork trotter was finally on the table. It was delicious amd I enjoyed it very much. There were lot of ingredients in it.
Our mandatory dish which has to be a veggie and tonight we opted for a simple stir fried Pak Choy.
Another Cantonese fried noodle.
16 of us camed to this old restaurant and we had to break into 2 tables. One for the record and long live Sek Yuen you are one of Kuala Lumpur's gems. We will come another time to savour the rest of its other lovely Cantonese dishes.
Restoran Sek Yuen 
适苑酒家
Address : 315 Jalan Pudu, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tel : +603 9222 0903, +603 9222 9457
Opening Hours : Tuesday - Sunday (closed on Mondays)
Lunch : 11:30am - 2:30pm / Dinner : 5:30pm - 9:30pm
GPS : 3.135651, 101.712174

No comments: