Friday, October 13, 2017

Cycle Malaysia Day 23 Kuala Terengganu to Dungun

Lawrence of KT Chinatown Lodge recommended me for a Bak Kut Teh breakfast, initially I thought it was not a good idea to have BKT in KT but anyway I went for it. It turned out to be a great breakfast, the BKT was delicious the meat is cut in smaller pieces as compared to those in KL.
The trishaw man and me on the road for a day ride, his was within the city while mine was from town to town.
Batu Bersurat roundabout based on the discovery of the Inscribed Stone in Kuala Berang, Hulu Terengganu is significant for Terengganu which proven the earliest acceptance of Islam by a state ruler in the Malay Peninsular. The Batu Bersurat monument is beautifully landscaped and serves as yet another landmark monument for visitors arriving into Kuala Terengganu Heritage Waterfront City.
Indeed you are beautiful and I hope to visit you again, beauty.
So long and farewell to Kuala Terengganu.
And I see you again, the unique bus.
The Tengku Tengah Zaharah Mosque or the Floating Mosque is the first real floating mosque in Malaysia. It is situated in Kuala Ibai Lagoon near the estuary of Kuala Ibai River, 4 km from KualaTerengganu Town.
Another beautiful mosque at Chendering and it is the Sultan Ismail Mosque located by the road side white in colour and standing majestically.

After passing by Marang Town I have to cross a bridge over Marang River. The origin of the district's name is attributed to a Chinese entrepreneur of dried sea products known only by the name of Ma, who was one of the first settlers in the area. The sea products, consisting of fish and squid, are dried on racks called rang by the local populace. Given Ma owned all the rangs, the area became known as Ma rang (i.e. 'Ma's rangs'), which eventually became Marang.
At Kampung Kelulut beach where I stopped by and took a rest. The beach at the east coast is truly amazing long and beautiful facing to South China Sea.
Penjara Marang or Marang Prison right in front of the main road Route 3.
There were several pelotons seems training along this stretch of road.
Kedai Makan Ustaz located at GPS : 5.052717, 103.287077 has a wide range of Malay food. I have been marking this place 7km away with signage promoting the warong.
Ikan bakar stove in front of the shop. A clean and decent place for meal with ample space for parking.
My choice of gulai tempoyak ikan patin with a strong sourish taste.
At times it can be very quiet on the road and my mind could be wandering about anything that comes as I pedal on.
Jambu Bongkok Forest Reserve, seem quiet and I just wonder if there is any activity for tourists over here.
It has a elongated river running parallel with the main road with thick mangrove vegetation.
The weather was getting hot as I slowly gain my distance towards Dungun.
 You can learn about the different species of turtles at the Rantau Abang Turtle Information Centre.
Pantai Batu Pelanduk Kuala Abang has lovely beach and interesting rock formation. Sadly the turtle viewing has become difficult due to severe poaching in the past, once there were a great number of big leatherback turtles visiting this beautiful shore.
I could see a long bridge as I was climbing a slope and that must be the entrance to Dungun.
Yes it's Dungun alright after 84km of cycling under the hot sun and I have reached the place safely. I need a super cold drink.
View from the bridge and Dungun town is on the other side.
I always enjoy the view when crossing a bridge and Dungun Bridge is quite long. The river beneath is Dungun River flowing out the estuary into South China Sea.
Old Dungun town still have old timber shophouses many have been redeveloped into concrete ones while a few are maintaining its original being which is so wonderful to see.
Some of the remaining timber shop houses in old Dungun town.
I was supposed to meet Anne & Kim at the Bus Station but I got news that their bus has broken down and making alternative transport to come to Dungun.
My meal again with a plate of economical rice and a glass of kopi "O".
They were lucky to get a rescue car from Gambang Toll to Dungun.
Finally Anne & Kim arrived in the evening after a long day looking for alternative transport. Thank you Christopher Lee for recommending this shop, Ban Yeow Restaurant located at
Taman Saeda, Kuala Dungun, GPS : 4.741303, 103.418299
The dishes for our dinner, surprisingly the tofu looks simple but it's special and delicious. So was the fried fish.
We stayed at this place called Anggun Beach Guest House.
Day 23 where I cycled 84km to Dungun from Kuala Terengganu to meet Anne & Kim.

No comments: