Friday, September 29, 2017

Cycle Malaysia Day 11 Kangar - Alor Setar

Perlis is very much Thai, the night before I had some Thai food for dinner at a restaurant nearby Soo Guan Villa and my breakfast was a Thai Kuay Teow noodle soup at a shop across the hotel. Sawadi karp. Today I have to leave Perlis and it was time to head back to Alor Setar.
Arau is about 7km away from Soo Guan Villa where I have to cross a decorated bridge over Perlis River before arriving at Arau.
The Royal town of Perlis, Arau.
In front of the Royal Palace of Perlis at Aarau.
I was attracted by the appearance of old Arau town where later I found out that Arau Heng one of college mates who used to live here in one of the shops. These old shops have cantilevered upper floors with beautiful wall finishes and windows.
After 1km from the border between Perlis and Kedah I arrived at Kodiang which is in the district of Kubang Pasu.
Kerbau Cave of Kodiang standing alone and very distinctive.
Chinese temple along Route 176. The road condition is superb for cycling with a motorbike lane and the traffic is so light and relatively quiet.
I was surprise to see a big Siamese temple at Padang Sera and it is called Wat Boonyaram. Location GPS : 6.357383, 100.338825
Wat Boonyaram is popular among the Thai community locally and and abroad. I am impressed with its existence in Kubang Pasu.
I was pedalling along Jalan Aman Utama in Jitra along a river I saw another big Siamese temple and it is Wat Jitraram looking beautiful by the river side.
I had a good rest at Kong and Liew Kee's house. Thanks for the home cooked food and a tour around Jitra by Liew Kee. Will see both of you again.
With an easy 26km from Jitra I was already in Alor Setar where I took time to visit and see more of Alor Setar city.
The water level of Kedah River was seems high as I was exploring the area at Jalan Tunku Yaakob.
I was back to Zahir Mosque it is one of the oldest and grandest mosques in Malaysia, built in 1912 and located in the heart of Alor Setar.
A replica of the archway of Kota Tengah Palace that was demolished in 1973 to make way for the Wisma Negeri building. This is just next to the Nobat Tower.
One of the several graffiti on the wall of Chinatown in Alor Setar.
Like most major towns in the country the old entertainment joints are all left dilapidated and idle. This one must be of Shaw Brothers' property with the faded sign indicates "Great World 大世界".
I was attracted by this crowded street selling food and so I went over to explore.
I felt that the fish balls are a bit starchy and lack a good typical bounciness. Anyway, business was a brisk and the stall seems popular among the locals.
Day 11 was easy and relaxing.

No comments: