Monday, February 15, 2010

2nd Day of Tiger Year @ Padang Serai, Kedah

On the second day of Chinese New Year, we went to Padang Serai to visit our 5th Uncle. Bee Leng “tau pau” Yee Sang there and we had a cheerful Lou Sang treat at our uncle’s house.
I borrowed a motor bike from my Uncle for a nostalgic ride around in Padang Serai town. Padang Serai is the place where I was born and I have a lot of good memories of this place.

This is the old Post Office of Padang Serai where I opened my first active saving account in this building. My experience and thrill of saving money and withdrawing money in this building happened here in this town during my younger years.

It is a pity that this Sunday Market is left dilapidated. I remembered that Sundays were my first days of school in the state of Kedah and during this time I would pass by this crowded weekend market after my journey back from school in Kulim.

I do not know why the Local Council is leaving this building in such a sore condition.

This is the Chinese Temple where I would come for Teochew Opera show and the Opera show would be staged here in this structure opposite this temple.

I have enjoyed the Leng Chee Kang at the food stalls, the taste and nice aroma of the BBQ cuttlefish beneath the stage and not the Teochew Opera Show. As I do not understand the fine Teochew lingo used in the opera show even though I am a Teochew.



Padang Serai, Kedah

GPS : 5.516208,100.551167

3 comments:

Wan Mokhtar Bin Awg.Ramlee Al-Sambas @ Dave Li Wanji said...

Hey Tailin...I really love this posting by you. You took me back to those years of my childhood; 1949 - 1959. I used to climb up and down those steps at the Post Office to buy stamps and to mail out letters. In 1955 - 1957 I used to have so many pen-pals hehehe. The post office at the time was managed by a post-master and two postmen, Pak Gopal and Pak Yusoff. To deliver mails they either walk or rode a big, strong red bicycle.

Tailim said...

Dave Li - apa khabar? Wah banyak pen pals, guess you must have lots of girlfriends during those days!What a world of differnce, sekarang kita pakai internet.
Have a good holiday, Sir.

nadz said...

Hello STL,

Felt nostalgic seing those Padang Serai sites....Im longing to cycle like you but Im not able, (I used to cycle from Sekolah Menengah Padang Serai back home to Permatang Durian during 19753-1975.