Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Penang Nyonya Dishes @ SS2/6 Restoran Tanjung Bunga

Restoran Tanjung Bunga has been in this part of the world for a long time, I heard that the second generation of the owner had taken over the management and have changed its appearance since the last time I visited this place (must be century ago).
I brought 2 bottles of wine for this dinner (no corkage imposed like most Chinese restaurants in town). A red wine from Australia and a white from Chile both were good and went pretty well with the food.
This restaurant has been popular for its Curry Fish Head (RM28.00) dishes all the while hence we are not neglecting this order. Frankly speaking I would prefer Peter Fish Head Curry of Setapak, Kuala Lumpur.

Assam Prawns (RM25.00) tasted yummy despite the appearance was not so appealing. I would prefer it to be served dry with slight burnt assam flagrant.
Belacan Fried Chicken (RM15.00) – passed the grade but nothing like the one in Penang Island.



Penang Lobak (RM10.00) – a popular Penang meat roll, this one is long, longer than the standard length found in most shops and that is why it is RM5.00 per roll. Thumb up for this Lobak.
Tai-chi Tofu (RM10.00) which was supposed to be their signature dish but I do not find it of anything special about it. Just “bolih bolih” only.



Tau Yu Bak(RM30.00) – braised belly pork and eggs in soya sauce is an ever popular dish in the homes of the Chinese community so much so my boys can eat it almost everyday if given the chance.
Yoo Hoo Char (RM15.00) was good but it can not beat my mother’s. My family is missing her Yoo Hoo Char and hopefully we can have it during this coming Chinese New Year. I guess this is a unique Penang dish and to be eaten with or wrapped the Yoo Hoo Char with the leafy lettuce.

Restaurant Tanjung Bunga
117 Jalan SS2/6,
Petaling Jaya.
Tel :03 7877 4531

GPS : 3.115969,101.616652

4 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

Prawns, my favourite....

Tailim said...

somewhere in singapore- me too. Happy Lunar New Year.

Rebecca Saw said...

Ohh, i love jiu hu char!! Cant find a good one here.. It is mostly too oily and 'limp'..
Wish i had learnt how to make it frm my Grams be4 she passed away. Her lorbak rocks too..

Tailim said...

thenomadGourmand - Penang jiu hu char & Lobak are the best. Kong Hee Fatt Chai.